Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
SHIP / Medicare Counselor
Many of our clients require assistance navigating their Medicare, Medicare supplement, or Medicare managed services. The Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) counselor position exists to advise and answer questions regarding health insurance.
Satisfactorily complete the initial SHIP training session on Medicare and Medicaid. This training is five (5) half day sessions completed all in the same week. The location of the training varies within Cook County based on the date of the training. Center of Concern will help with the training registration and will provide a stipend to cover food and travel.
-Conduct individual health insurance counseling sessions, serving as their advocate and advisor
- Maintain the confidentiality of the client
- Maintain objective counsel without conflict of interest or preference for particular insurance companies and without recommending any specific insurance policies
- Assist clients with filing claims for Medicare and Medicare Supplemental health insurance
- Complete a counseling report for each session and submit reports online at the end of each month
- Represent SHIP counseling at community groups or pertinent audiences
- Attend ongoing education programs
- Commit to working 8-10 hours per month
- Must not be employed by the health insurance industry
-Volunteers will be required to sign up for one morning or one afternoon a week - Monday - Thursday.
Counselors will gain detailed knowledge of Medicare policies and programs.
Counselors will gain valuable experience as personal coaches and respected advisers.
Satisfaction of giving back to the community and serving others.
This is a Skill Based Volunteer (SBV) Opportunity.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: