Age Minimum (with Adult):18+, Minimum Age:18+
O'Hare Airport Travelers Aid Roving Volunteer
Active individuals or pairs are needed at O'Hare Airport to provide information and support for travelers. This is an excellent opportunity to volunteer while getting good exercise at the same time. Great opportunity for active individuals, couples, or friends.
About the position:
Travelers Aid Chicago provides crisis intervention, information, and social services to travelers and visitors at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport. The Travelers Aid office is located inside security in Terminal 2 with three satellite locations in Terminals 1, 2 and 3. Travelers Aid is a program of Heartland Human Care Services.
Roving volunteers travel throughout the O'Hare terminals and position themselves at confusion points, identifying and offering assistance or information to distressed or confused passengers. Volunteers also may provide protective travel services to vulnerable or at-risk passengers who need guidance, support, or advocacy as they travel through the airport. These passengers may include refugees, travelers with special needs, immigrants and first time international visitors, and others. Each roving volunteer must complete a background check to obtain an O'Hare badge to pass through security checkpoints.
Roving volunteers may work alone or recruit a partner to volunteer with. When working in pairs, each volunteer must be individually approved and badged by Travelers Aid.
Trainings and Benefits:
· Orientation session and hands-on training provided for new volunteers
· Quarterly volunteer education sessions (optional but encouraged)
· Free airport parking when on duty
· Use of employee line at security checkpoints
· Discounts at many airport concessions
· Annual volunteer appreciation luncheon
· Minimum age of 18
· Willingness to complete and pass a background check (at no cost to volunteer)
· Strong listening skills
· Ability to communicate clearly and professionally
· Practical problem-solving skills and ability to suggest options and alternatives
· Sensitivity to persons under excessive stress and/or of different educational, economic, cultural or racial backgrounds
· Patience and ability to stay calm and positive during stressful situations
· Flexibility and ability to handle a certain amount of ambiguity
· Ability to learn and recall information in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
· Second language skills helpful but not required
The roving volunteer must meet the following physical demands to successfully perform the essential functions of this position
· Ability to move about the airport and make stops at various “confusion points” over the course of a 4-5 hour shift with short breaks.
· One year commitment with an initial three month trial period for volunteer and staff to evaluate the volunteer match and performance
· Minimum of two shifts per month. Shifts are Monday-Friday 10AM-2PM or 2-7PM; Sunday 3-7PM.
· Schedule should be regular from week to week
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: