Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Safe House Lobby Volunteer
Title: Lobby Volunteer
Staff Partner: Safe House Advocate
Location: WINGS Domestic Violence Safe Houses, which are in an undisclosed location in the Northwest Suburban area and Midway Airport area.
Time: Most volunteers come once a week for a 3- 4 hour shift between 8am and 7pm weekly. Occasionally, some other timeslots may be available. Additional time is required in the beginning for training.
Commitment: Requires willingness to commit to volunteer for at least three (3) hours a week for at least one (1) year.
- Completion of the 40 Hour Domestic Violence Training (The class is usually offered three (3) times a year.) Background check is required.
- Any personal experience with domestic violence should be more than two (2) years prior to applying for this volunteer opportunity.
- A willingness to keep the location confidential.
- Ensure the safety of the Safe House by allowing only appropriate people to enter the Safe House. Lobby volunteer utilizes the intercom and camera system to confirm the identity of Safe House clients, staff, other volunteers, and service providers who come to the Safe House door.
- Interact with clients as they come in and out of the shelter and as they come to the Safe House lobby to ask questions about Safe House policies and operations.
- Assist clients with basic daily living skills, including: signing in/out from the Safe House, providing directions to community locations, assisting with public transportation-looking up train/bus schedules, providing needed items such as toiletries/linens/bedding from Safe House inventory, giving laundry detergent as needed.
- Explain the basic Safe House policies and procedures to clients, including: staff schedules, babysitting rules, curfew, overnight policy, mail process, chore assignments.
- Other duties are assigned to Lobby volunteers based on volunteer interest and current shelter need (Examples include: minor administrative tasks-filing/making copies/faxing documents, organizing/sorting donations, researching community resources).
This may be a good fit for you if:
- You enjoy helping people find a way out of difficult situations.
- You are looking for a volunteer opportunity that provides direct service to our clients.
- You are a good listener and able to give empathy and options without giving advice.
- You are able to stay calm, even when others become upset or emotional.
- You are committed to providing a safe, non-judging environment where you are willing to support people in their choices, even choices you may not agree with (example: a woman choosing to return to her abuser.)
- You feel comfortable working with people in a diverse environment in regards to social-economic status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and religion.
You are comfortable with varying levels of activity. (Sometimes the lobby is very busy, other times it can be very slow.)
The environment can be active which makes this a great opportunity for those who can multi-tasks and are not sensitive to noise.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: