Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Safe House Hostess
TITLE: Safe House Hostess
STAFF PARTNER: House Advocate
LOCATIONS: WINGS Domestic Violence Safe Houses, which are in undisclosed locations in the Northwest Suburban area and Midway Airport area.
TIME: Most volunteers cover one or two meal shifts a week. The lunch shift is Monday – Friday from 11:00 to 2pm and the dinner shift is Monday – Friday from 4:00-7:00pm. Occasionally, some other timeslots may be available based on the needs at the house.
COMMITMENT: Requires willingness to commit to a weekly shift for at least one (1) year. Advance notice is requested in the event of a cancellation so we can schedule a substitute.
Completion of the 40 Hour Domestic Violence Training (provided by WINGS three (3) times a year.) Background check is required.
Any personal experience with domestic violence should be more than two (2) years prior to applying for this volunteer opportunity.
A commitment to keeping the location confidential.
- Assist in the daily meal times at the Safe House by: warming up, setting out and putting away a previously prepared lunch or dinner for clients and workers at the Safe House.
- Interact with clients during meal times to promote constructive and friendly conversations with and between the clients.
- Promote a positive environment by lending a listening ear to someone who wants to talk, engaging more hesitant clients in conversation to help them feel welcomed and comfortable.
- Help clients with daily living tasks, including: explaining kitchen and dining room chores, assisting clients with cleaning up after themselves and their children.
- Organizing and sorting weekly food donations in both the Safe House walk-in fridge and pantry. Hostess volunteers also make sure that clients have enough food items (milk, butter, cereal, etc.) in the communal area and restock if needed.
- Other duties are assigned to Hostess volunteers based on volunteer interest and current shelter need (Examples include: suggesting or facilitating simple activities (such as a card game or new toy) to adults or to parents trying to entertain children,).
THIS MAY BE A GOOD FIT FOR YOU IF:
- You are looking for a volunteer opportunity that provides direct service to clients.
- You are able to lift about 30 lbs.
- You are a good listener and able to give empathy and options without giving advice.
- You are able to say calm, even when others become upset or emotional.
- You have strong boundaries and are able to demonstrate those to others.
- You are willing to support women in their choices; even choices you may not agree with.
- You feel comfortable working with people in a diverse environment in regards to social-economic status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and religion.
You are comfortable with varying levels of activity. (Sometimes the house is very full and busy. Other times the residents spend much of their time away.)
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: