Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Bilingual/Bicultural (Spanish/English) Level II Mentor
Title: Bilingual/Bicultural (Spanish/English) Level II Mentor
Staff Partner: Manager of Community Based Services
Location: This program is located in an undisclosed location in the Northwest Suburban area.
Time: Weekly time requirements will vary and will usually range from 2-5 hours per week based on a mutually convenient time with your schedule and those of the clients.
Commitment: Requesting a commitment to volunteer weekly for at least one (1) year.
- Completion of the 40 Hour Domestic Violence Training (provided by WINGS three (3) times a year.) and background check.
- Any personal experience with domestic violence should be more than two (2) years prior to applying for this volunteer opportunity.
- Fluency in Spanish and English.
- Experience with the Latino/Latina culture.
- ALAS is a service offered by WINGS Program Inc., seeking to address the unique needs of the often underserved Latina population seeking services for domestic violence in the northwest suburbs of Cook County.
- Level II Mentors work directly with Latina survivors of domestic violence in the community promoting self-sufficiency through emotional support, resources and education.
- A level II Mentor will be assigned to provide emotional support and work directly with Latina clients on such things as seeking practical options and appropriate services assisting them with resources and referrals for domestic violence counseling, immigration services, legal services, public benefits, and other services.
- Level II Mentors will also have the opportunity to facilitate Spanish support groups in a safe space for women to connect with other women and gain peer support to set and reach goals.
- There is an opportunity for the right Level II Mentor to also become involved with Promotora de Salud workshops and modules designed to identify and develop leadership potential among Latinas who may be interested in becoming volunteer advocates within their communities.
This may be a good fit for you if:
- You want to use your time and abilities to be a part of the journey to end domestic violence and empower Latina victims and survivors.
- You have good communication skills and enjoy speaking with others.
- You feel comfortable working with people in a diverse environment in regards to social-economic status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and religion.
- You are able to work both independently and as a team member.
- You have knowledge of resources and challenges specific to the Latino/Latina community in Northwest Suburban Chicago (preferred, but not required).
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: